Thursday, February 5, 2009

A Struggling day...

Today is turning out to be one of those days...one that I wish had started better but didn't and just seems to keep going downhill. Everyone is still getting over a cold, behavior and attitudes have been lacking to say the least- and I'm struggling- struggling with wanting a home of peace and kindness and I can't seem to turn it around today. So I nap everyone (or desperately try to enforce some quiet time in the room of the non-nappers) so I can regain some composure (and give them some rest so they'll finally get better!) I look through my bible for some direction and I come upon this...

"For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on things of the flesh, but those that live according to the Spirit set their minds on things of the Spirit. To set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace. For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to God's law, indeed it cannot; and those who are in the flesh cannot please God." Romans 8:5-8

On days like this, where it just seems like I'm laboring so heavily to drag my children into submission and I'm letting it get to me I realize that I am setting my mind on the flesh and not the Spirit. The Spirit is "life and peace" and I'm focused on the world, my timeframe, my expectations for the day, my own sinfulness in that I become impatient and set the mood (good or bad) for my family. I realize I need to rise above the physical difficulty in front of me and dwell in the Spirit, find my peace there...because what I really want is to "please God" as the scripture says and I can't do that dwelling in these moments of the flesh.

So, pray for me, a mother of many little ones, as I strive from this moment on to try to focus on the Spirit and call on Him in my difficult moments of the flesh today.

Blessings,
Kimberly

No comments:

Post a Comment