Sunday, January 1, 2012

Aquaponics Primer

So as Kim has mentioned in previous post I've been interested in starting up an aquaponics system at out new house.  So I thought I would spend some time putting my thoughts down as a introduction to those visitors that are un-familiar with it.
Aquaponics is the combination of aquaculture ( the raising of aquatic animals like fish ) and hydroponics ( the growing of plants in  nutrient rich water instead of soil).  The advantages of combining these two techiniques is that the fish, plants, and some benifical bateria work together and form a symbolotic relationship.  Plants take in water and carbon dioxide from the air to create sugars but require nitrogen from the soil to grow.  Fish need oxygen and clean water and their excrement and urine contain nitrogen.  So with the help of bateria the fish refuse is converted into a form of nitrogen that the plants can use and the plants help to clean the water for the fish.
There are a lot more details which I'm learning but that's the basic gist of it.
So in later posts I'll be going over my design and progress of building my aquaponics system.

No comments:

Post a Comment